written by Crystal Boston, Travel Specialist
UPDATE: Effective July 30, 2021, face coverings are optional for Guests in outdoor areas. All Guests (ages 2 and up) must wear a face covering when inside, including indoor attractions, queues and transportation.
UPDATED: September 10, 2021
Confirming a virtual queue in the My Disney Experience Mobile App is still the only way to experience Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. As availability allows, you will have an opportunity at 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. to request to join the virtual queue. This means there is no need to arrive early to the park to check the virtual queue.
Here are a few important details to know before arriving…
- Guests with a valid ticket or annual pass and a Disney Park Pass Reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system and check for an available boarding group starting at 7 a.m. on the day of their park reservation. This can be done before you leave your Disney resort hotel, or wherever else nearby you might be at that time.
- In addition, the virtual queue will reopen daily at 1 p.m. for anyone who was not already able to join a boarding group earlier in the day. Note: Guests must be inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access this second virtual queue opportunity, access to a boarding group is subject to availability and not guaranteed.
The attraction’s virtual queue is only accessible via your My Disney Experience Mobile App. To maximize your opportunity to secure a boarding group, here are a few tips for prior to your day at the park:
- Register an account in My Disney Experience
- Download the My Disney Experience mobile app on your smart device or ensure you are using the most updated version of the app before you arrive at the park
- Have a valid Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios for the day you are visiting
- Link all park tickets in your party to your My Disney Experience account
- For the best opportunity, it’s best if all members of your travel party attempt to access the virtual queue for everyone in your group
- Remember, virtual queue boarding groups are limited and subject to availability
NOTE: Only Guests with a Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to experience Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Even with Park Hopper tickets, Guests visiting from another theme park will not be able to request to join the virtual queue.
You can follow the Boarding Group information provided below to join a Boarding Group and should receive a notification when your Boarding Group opens. It’s now easier to confirm your party prior to the Virtual Queue opening. Starting 1 hour before the boarding group queue opens, you can now confirm your party.
There are now also tips within the app telling Guests how to “refresh” right at 7 a.m. to join the queue, streamlining the process. You can see this reflected in the screenshot below.
If you have any questions or need assistance with joining the virtual queue, Cast Members at Guest Experience Team locations throughout the park are available to assist. While waiting for a virtual queue group to be called, you can enjoy other experiences at Disney’s Hollywood Studios including the newest experience, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
You will be assigned a Group number and estimated wait time for return to the land to join the line for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Your MagicBand or park ticket will be scanned again before you are allowed access to the ride queue. During this time you are free to enjoy any other experiences at Disney, including going back to your resort to sleep!
There may be times when a virtual queue will be used to enter Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, allowing you to enjoy the rest of Disney’s Hollywood Studios while waiting for your turn to enter Batuu. Guests should check either the My Disney Experience mobile app or with the Guest Experience team that can be found within the park for the land’s current status.
To make sure that you’ll be able to join the virtual queue, you’ll need to have the latest version of the My Disney Experience mobile app downloaded on your phone. If you’ve enabled push notifications for the app and you have entered the virtual queue, you should be notified when it’s time to return to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. If you don’t, you’ll be able to view the boarding group status in the app, or check the various digital status boards throughout the park.
To see if the land is open or if Boarding Groups are available, you’ll launch your My Disney Experience mobile app and look for the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge: Status and Access section – tap the “Find Out More” button.
In the next screen you will select your Party and click the “Join a Boarding Group” button.
You will then be assigned a Group number and estimated wait time for return. Click the “Done” button.
For those who don’t choose to use the My Disney Experience mobile app, and you would like to join a Boarding Group, you’ll need to visit a Guest Experience Team kiosk.
As a reminder, for those with reservations for Oga’s Cantina, Savi’s Workshop – Handbuilt Lightsabers, or Droid Depot, if the land is full and you have a reservation, you will be allowed into the land.
Contact your Wish Upon A Star With Us Travel Agent now to book your Walt Disney World or Disneyland resort package for your Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge experience!